top of page

The Benefits of Having a Work Permit

Foto de en Pexels

What is Work Permit Authorization?

The Employment Authorization Document (EAD) allows qualifying immigrants to work in the United States. For example: F-1 students; persons in the final stages of permanent residency; refugees; those granted asylum; those with ‘temporary protected status’; and some others.

The EAD (Form I-765), also known as a work permit, is issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The EAD card contains personal information such as the dates of employment authorized, a photograph, name, date of birth, and the type of visa. The EAD card can be used as a valid I-9 document for employment.

The Process

The 7-page application is submitted on Form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization). To get a permit, you need to have an immigration status that allows you to work in the U.S. Deferred Action recipients can also apply. The application process generally takes 5-7 months and costs $485.

Documents Required

An applicant will need to gather six supporting documents (passport, current U.S. visa, copy of original Form I-94 record, any previous work permits, passport-style photos, and a receipt notice from the U.S. government when the applicant submitted the immigrant visa application. First-time applicants will also need to bring their birth certificate, visa, and a copy of some national identity document that has either the applicant’s photo or their fingerprint.


Employers in the U.S. need to confirm that you are legally authorized to work before hiring. An EAD card allows one to legally work for any employer in the U.S. Note: If you are a U.S. citizen, Green Card holder (Lawful Permanent Resident) or a Conditional Resident, you do not need to get an EAD.

By contacting Mil Mujeres at (202) 808-3311 or online, one can receive more information about the work permit. Mil Mujeres assists clients throughout the whole application process. Assistance on the U-Visa, VAWA, Naturalization, DACA, and much more can also be provided by Mil Mujeres.

bottom of page