top of page

The T Visa: Visa for Victims of Human Trafficking

What is Human Trafficking?

USCIS defines human trafficking as follows:

  • Sex trafficking: When someone recruits, harbors, transports, supplies, solicits, sponsors, or obtains a person for the purpose of a commercial sexual act, in which the commercial sexual act is induced by force, fraud, coercion, when the person induced to do so is under 18 years of age, or

  • Labor trafficking: When someone recruits, houses, transports, provides or obtains a person to perform work or services through the use of force, fraud, or coercion for the purpose of involuntary servitude, peonage, debt bondage or slavery.

What is the T Visa? T nonimmigrant status is a temporary immigration benefit that allows some victims of human trafficking to remain in the United States for up to 4 years. T visa recipients are eligible for employment authorization and for some federal and state benefits and services for safety and well-being.

To be eligible, you must ...

  • Being a victim of a severe form of human trafficking

  • Being in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, or a port of entry for being a victim of human trafficking

  • Cooperate with law enforcement agencies in the investigation or prosecution of acts of trafficking in persons (there are exceptions for persons under 18 years of age and persons with physical or psychological trauma)

  • Show that you would suffer extreme hardship related to extraordinary and serious personal injury if removed from the United States, and

  • Be eligible for admission to the United States

To apply for a T visa, you must submit ...

  • Form I-914, Application for T Nonimmigrant Status, including a personal statement explaining in your own words how you were a victim of human trafficking

  • Form I-914, Supplement A, Application for Immediate Relative of a T-1 Recipient (if applicable)

  • Evidence showing that you complied with reasonable requests for assistance from law enforcement agencies. You can submit a Form I-914 or other evidence such as trial transcripts, court documents, police reports, newspaper articles, affidavits, or other relevant credible evidence.

  • Evidence showing that you meet all other eligibility requirements.

  • Form I-192, Application for Advance Permission to Enter as a Nonimmigrant (if inadmissible).

If You Need Help ... Contact us! Mil Mujeres provides immigration legal services for the Latino community, people who have been victims of a violent crime. Our attorneys are ready to evaluate your case and provide you with a solution. We can help you with your application.

bottom of page